The Jersey Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (JSPCA) was founded in 1868 with the intention of attempting to change public attitudes towards animals.
The Jersey Animals’ Shelter itself was founded in 1913 by Miss Frances Elizabeth Wilson, who was appalled by the number of domestic animals found washed up on the Island’s beaches, having been drowned by owners unable to care for them
In 1925, the JSPCA formed a Committee to assist Miss Wilson in her work and in 1930, the Society purchased the present property on St Saviours Road. In 1936, the JSPCA and Jersey Animals’ Shelter amalgamated. This was a lifelong wish of Miss Wilson and took place shortly before her death.
The original building was used and worked from for over 80 years before the new building (pictured) was erected in 2012 to the rear of the original property.