Poor Teddy – our first case this year of chocolate ingestion

It’s that time of year again! Sleigh bells, mistletoe and LOTS of chocolate!

Last week we had our first case of chocolate ingestion – as you can see in the photo, this did not end well for poor Teddy!

 

Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine which is highly toxic to our pets. High quality, dark chocolate is considered the most dangerous but we strongly advise that you keep all chocolate containing products away from your pets.

 

If your pet does manage to get its paws on some chocolate, you will usually observe symptoms within four hours.

 

The initial symptoms can include:

 

  • Increased thirst
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Sore, tender tummy (doesn’t want to be touched there)
  • Restlessness/Pacing

If your pet is not taken to the vet, the symptoms can worsen and you may observe:

 

  • Shaking/trembling
  • Irregular heartbeats
  • Fever (hot to the touch)
  • Panting/ laboured breathing
  • Seizure
  • Death

Luckily, Teddy’s owner took him to the vet’s as soon as she noticed that he had eaten chocolate. The vet gave him an injection to induce vomiting and Teddy emptied all of his chocolate covered stomach contents! He wasn’t feeling his best but thanks to the fast actions of his owner and the vet department, Teddy has made a full recovery and will not suffer any further complications from the chocolate ingestion.

 

Please keep your pets away from chocolate and ensure all food is kept out of reach from your pets (even if it’s wrapped under the tree!)

 

If you think your pet has eaten chocolate, you should contact your vet for advice immediately. The sooner any treatment begins, the less severe the effects will be to your pet. Keep the chocolate packaging to hand so your vet will have an idea of how serious your pet’s poisoning might be.

 

Stay Informed

If you'd like to sign up for news and updates from the JSPCA, please fill in your details below and we'll get you on the list!

Follow The JSPCA

Facebook

Twitter

Help find Jacko a new loving home........he is such a wonderful, friendly Cockatoo :-) More info at https://t.co/KocVevRyZi

https://t.co/UBaJhRB8oS
#saveourshelter #rescuesarebest #AdoptDontShop

2

Noddy is currently being cared for in a Guardian home whilst he searches for his permanent forever home. Please get in touch if you think you could help.

https://t.co/kv7B6yMCVy
https://t.co/QbQZ5k8FHu
#rescuesarebest #adoptdontshop #jspca #donate
https://t.co/gWI4R0XvFb

We are looking for raffle prizes for our various events organised for 2019. Do you have any unwanted presents that could be donated?

Items can be dropped into our main reception. Thank you for supporting your local shelter. #jspca #fundraise

https://t.co/gWI4R0XvFb

Next on Noddy's CV - He makes a great office assistant! He is learning the ropes and will make sure you are getting on with your work.

Noddy would love to find a home where he can put his office skills to good use (or maybe just have a nap whilst your busy 😉).

It's Love your Pet Day today!

Our pets provide us with so much love, affection, make us smile and laugh throughout their lifetime with their quirky ways....How will you be celebrating with your purrfect pet?🐾😍💘💝🐶🐱🐭🐹🐰

#loveyourpetday2019 #adoptdontshop #rescuesarebest

Load More...

Poor Teddy – our first case this year of chocolate ingestion
Poor Teddy – our first case this year of chocolate ingestion