fbpx

About the Shelter

The Jersey Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (JSPCA) was founded in 1868 with the intention of attempting to change public attitudes towards animals.

In 1925, the JSPCA formed a Committee to assist Miss Wilson in her work and in 1930, the Society purchased the present property on St Saviours Road. In 1936, the JSPCA and Jersey Animals’ Shelter amalgamated. This was a lifelong wish of Miss Wilson and took place shortly before her death.

In 1930, the JSPCA purchased the now well known property on St Saviours Road where they worked out of for over 80 years before the new building was erected in 2012 to the rear of the original property.